Notifications
Clear all

Relation between Periodical Studies and Space/Architectural/Oceanic Studies  

Evanghelia Stead

Hello, everybody, and sorry to join in late (as the saying goes in French, comme les carabiniers, the carabiniers, i.e. police-customs officers, being always late, not that I fancy being one of them, but I would have loved to participate earlier…).

A few thoughts on Barbara Green's insightful comment on the inspiring parallel between periodical studies on one hand, space/architectural/oceanic studies on the other. The first two strike me as being a consequence of the way print culture (books and periodicals) has been repeatedly related to buldings over time. This may be through terminology (frontispiece, columns, etc.) but also by metaphors that have shaped categories (the storehouse or magasin category) or simply in naming periodicals (The Studio or The Savoy termed after a hotel). It seems to me that at the bottom of both lies the idea of the periodical as an urban form related to growing movements of populations towards urban centres and the creation of cities. As such, the relation between these fields is less surprising if we think in terms of the historical evolution of the periodical as a form. Conversely, the idea of a parallel between oceanic studies and periodical studies is unexpected and thought-provoking: indeed, what do we do in periodical studies except try to fathom the ocean? Also, when we study periodicals, especially in circulation, we start on a voyage, sometimes perilous, in any case risky, hoping of course for an insightful passage and a safe and sound arrival. Also the third parallel strongly relates to periodicals' circulation since a crossing (material, social, political or other) appears sooner or later. In a nutshell, the third parallel looms as the most challenging but also as a consequence of our changing methodologies in recent times.

Tim Satterthwaite

Hi Evanghelia: many thanks for this. Would you be happy to re-post this in the Plenary, "mobility, circulation, constraint" thread? As it turns out, this is where much of the discussion on our final day is taking place.

ReplyQuote
Share: