Notifications
Clear all

Télémaque's ideal reader age, poster design and paradoxical humor (plus Gilbert Robin's legacy)  

Maaheen Ahmed

Hi Christophe,

Many thanks for the fascinating talk. I'm totally new to the magazine (and to periodical studies in general!), so apologies for this string of questions!

a. Do you have a rough idea of the target age of Télémaque's readers? Did it have competition? (I'm only familiar with a few comics magazines of  the era but I'm wondering if there were other, more serious publications for the youth). 

b. Your PowerPoint mentions that worries about the French youth was reflected in poster designs. Would it be possible to elaborate further on that? 

c. You also mention the magazine's paradoxical humour - do you have examples for that?

d. Lastly, I'd like to know more about Gilbert Robin's legacy. Did his ideas eventually have some influence? 

Looking forward to your response! 

Christophe Premat

Dear Maaheen, Many thanks for these relevant questions!

a. From what I read, the target age of the magazine is 15-20 years old. The magazine tried to have a niche with this population as the competition was important (there were many magazines for the years 10-14 in this period, the Christian periodicals were quite important). The specificity was to devote more time to sports and culture (in the sense of leisure activities). The scout movement with Baden-Powell had also an increasing influence at that period, the "scout movement" is dealt with in different pages.

b. There are a lot of drawings / photographies that deal with the geopolitical context and the rise of Hitlerism. The magazine had also a few editorials that mentioned the situation. Even though the focus was on sport ad leisure, the political context is omnipresent. I attach one of the numbers where you can see this problematic, for instance with the question of Sarre (Saarland) with Germany as there was a diplomatic litige on this area that was annexed to West Germany after a referendum in the 1950s (see an example that I attached to this message).

c. Well, there were some humoristic vignettes / drawings / caricatures in the magazine but the main tonality was serious, this is why I dealt with the notion of "paradoxical humour"

d. Gilbert Robin's legacy was important because the aim of the magazine was to educate the young generation. His editorials were important for the magazine and his ideas were taken seriously in some circles. He gave many conferences and published many books on children and education.

Best,

ReplyQuote
Share: