Notifications
Clear all

Portraits of Republican leaders in the Chinese popular media (1912-1913)  

Xenia Piech

Dear Giulia,

Thank you for this very interesting talk! I am personally working on the role of photography in the emancipation movement of early twentieth century China. Your well-argued approach that lithography allowed for the transmission of more choreographed positions aroused my interest to look for comparable patterns.  

Best wishes, Xenia

Giulia Pra Floriani

Dear Xenia, Thank you for your comment and for letting me know about your research.

Thinking about the controlled staging of images: I'm sure you're already familiar with Tang Qunying's photographic portrait that appears on the cover of David Strand's book An Unfinished Republic. It is such a fascinating image conceived in between photography and painting. 

I haven't found a lot in terms of emancipation movement propaganda posters so far, it would be interesting to look for them. Are you mainly looking at Illustrated Magazines?

ReplyQuote
Xenia Piech

Dear Giulia,

yes, that is a wonderful image. And there is also the great lithograph by Wu Youru from the late 19th century. Or the famous portraits of Qiu Jin, etc.

I am looking at the topic from two angels. One angle is the stepping out into the public domain through photographic portraits in the early illustrated magazines. And then later at early women photographers and photographic instruction at women's schools.   And finally comparing this to developments in other centres of modernity. I hope to show the pattern that, at least in China, photography was a key tool in the modern emancipation project. 

Looking forward to keeping in touch - best, Xenia

Qiu Jin

Wu Youru, A Photographer Taking a Photograph of Two Courtesans, lithograph, orginally published in Feiyingge huabao, early 1890s

ReplyQuote
Giulia Pra Floriani

@xpiech Thank you for sharing these images and ideas, we should definitely keep in touch and keep exchanging. 

ReplyQuote
Share: