Notifications
Clear all

Left narratives of the 1920s  

Patrick Rössler

Many thanks, dear Konrad,

for your wonderful overview of "Der rote Stern" and for drawing our attention both to newspaper supplements in general and to this outlet in particular.

Within your range of narratives I missed one which seems crucial to me on the political developments of the period: The ongoing quarrel between the Communist party and the Social Democrats over who is the "real" left alternative to conservative and even Fascist powers. I remember this a permanent topic in the Communist media with powerful imagery, and not many later claimed that the fights within the left were one out of many reasons for the rise of the Nazi party.

All best from Germany and stay healthy
Patrick

Konrad Dussel

Posted by: @lemmy60

Many thanks, dear Konrad,

for your wonderful overview of "Der rote Stern" and for drawing our attention both to newspaper supplements in general and to this outlet in particular.

Within your range of narratives I missed one which seems crucial to me on the political developments of the period: The ongoing quarrel between the Communist party and the Social Democrats over who is the "real" left alternative to conservative and even Fascist powers. I remember this a permanent topic in the Communist media with powerful imagery, and not many later claimed that the fights within the left were one out of many reasons for the rise of the Nazi party.

All best from Germany and stay healthy
Patrick

Dear Patrick,

thank you for your note which certainly is of great significance with regard to the later stages of the Weimar Republic. For a more extensive analysis of the Red Star’s main topics, the timeline would indeed have to be taken into greater account. For the overall period, I would stick to my two main points. However, taking a closer look at the later stages, i.e. the years 1930 to 1932, the fight against fascism as well as coping with social democracy would most certainly have to be included as important topics as well. To be more precise, then the essential goal was to unite the proletariat and win the common social democrat for the communist party, while the leadership of the social democrats was bedevilled.

Best wishes to Erfurt,

Konrad

ReplyQuote
Share: