Notifications
Clear all

New Age  

Jaleen Grove

Dear Carey, thanks for introducing me to New Age. Do you have a second example where a particular controversy attracted international commentators like this? Was this much dialog normal in every issue?

Also, where did the editors go after New Age? They seem proto-fascist, or did I misunderstand?

Carey Snyder

Thanks for your question, Jaleen. To your first question, yes, this much dialogue was normal in the New Age. Another lengthy debate that I have been tracing concerns "white slavery" (forced prostitution, especially of minors), and it was sparked by the controversial White Slave Bill (the Criminal Amendment Act of 1912), which controversially legislated the flogging of procurers. The extensive anti-white slavery movement was itself international, so this drew in voices from around the globe as well.  The conversation spanned nearly a year, before and after the passing of the bill.  Your second question is also an excellent one: critical opinion is divided about how to classify the politics of the New Age, under A R Orage (who edited it 1907-1922). Bob Scholes and Ann Ardis generally characterize it as left-leaning, while highlighting its ideological diversity, while Charles Ferrall and Tom Villis characterize it as a forum for the reactionary right, paving the way for fascism.  Lee Garver (2011) argues that these labels aren't particularly useful given how the magazine consistently spans ideological perspectives. 

ReplyQuote
Share: